New Yamaha Japan Guitar Archive

Yamaha, est. 1897, one of the oldest musical instrument companys in the world. Building guitars from the early 40's. Famous for their mid 70's SG's.

New Yamaha Japan Guitar Archive

Postby Mimasu » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:02 pm

Good news :D

Yamaha has expanded the guitar archive on their Japanese site. Much more information available now. And..... the long awaited info on LP's, SL's SR's etc. :shock: It's in Japanese but you can read the production years.

OK it's not perfect. Some types are still missing. But it's a big step for mankind 8)

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/product/guitar/archive/

Leon
Mimasu

Re: New Yamaha Japan Guitar Archive

Postby Mimasu » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:56 pm

More good news:

But first the bad news. The new archive misses a lot of information on very popular Yamaha's like the SG2000 etc. But who cares :D . We know that already :lol:

Now the good news:

The new archive has lots of information on some models that we had little information on till now. Think of YSG's LP's SR's etc.

Scrolling the new archive gives some very interesting information:

It was hard to get information on early LP and Strat type guitars from Yamaha. They show up only in Japanese catalogs. The archive presents SL's and SR's from the end of 1976. So while yamaha was introducing their famous SG2000's etc they were also starting building these fantastic LP's and Strat imitations.

Further knowing these early production years, it becomes more and more clear that yamaha used their standard SG numbering system for their SL's, LP's en SR's. These guitars were very hard to date untill now.

And..... can anybody tell me why I spend weeks scrolling my catalogs and internet making a Yamaha timeline while the people at Yamaha now have a similar thing on their website :(

But.... don't be afraid.... I have guitars in my timeline that don't show in the new Yamaha archive. :twisted:
Mimasu

Postby Redz » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:50 am

"And..... can anybody tell me why I spend weeks scrolling my catalogs and internet making a Yamaha timeline while the people at Yamaha now have a similar thing on their website "

If the truth was known its probably that they just copy and paste all the great information you share with us here Leon and for that I salute you, thanks Derek. :D
Redz

Postby Rosco8 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:39 am

Great, actually had information on my VG which has been a bit of mystery to me for years, so 2 versions, bolt on neck and a custom with the straight thru neck which I think is what I have .. still missing quite a few models but still a great improvement. Thanks for letting us know ...
Rosco8

Postby singemonkey » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:53 am

Thanks so much for this. I was trying to add some meat to the Pacifica wikipedia page a while back and it was crazy difficult to find this info.

So sad to see so many great guitars discontinued. It looks like Yamaha's no longer making SVGs. Well, hopefully I'll land a good one second hand one day. Definitely the coolest of the surf guitars.
singemonkey

Return to Yamaha